Friday 8 February 2013

Saving Face - the Documentary



I know we learn something every single day - but what I learned yesterday was just too much to take in.


I went to a screening at the Old Cinema at the University of Westminster to watch "Saving Face". They have been even awarded for the Best Documentary in 2012 with the Academy Award.






Wow !! By far one of the best and most touching documentaries I have ever seen.


This documentary is about Acid Violence against Women due to cultural and structural inequalities from Pakistani men.


Here is the trailer








The Doctor you saw in the trailer is London-based Pakistani plastic surgeon , Dr. Mohammad Jawad. He was as well at the screening as well as the Director of Asti (acid survivors trust international) Jaf Shah. They answered our questions and informed us on how they are helping the victims.




Hearing about this matter and watching this documentary made me angry and sad at the same time and somehow happy because I can see that the victims have become survivors and that they have learned to deal with their faces. I am not a naive person - I mean I am aware that terrible things happen all around the world but its just doesn't go into my head how someone can deliberately throw acid into someone's face - and for a simple reason such as not wanting to get married or similar. That is really deep.



I cried and I would cry again and again - as it makes me so angry! We live in a world with far too many problems already. Why create more of them?



Well some problems are more serious then others but I guess that it all depends from the persons perspective. Dr. Mohammed Jawad made everyone aware that it is really important to make use of our skills. He did, and had the idea to help his people in pakistan who were going through terrible suffering.


When researching this delicate topic I was also reading about Katie Piper's Story.
Even though this movie was more focused on Pakistan the sad truth is that it happens everywhere. Do you remember Katie Piper's story?









Ignorance holds people back from making things better! So stop ignoring and raise awareness and hopefully that way we can make this world a better place.


Much love,


Lidiaana
www.lidiaana.com


No comments:

Post a Comment